How can you tell if Funko Pops are real or not? Sometimes, you buy Funko Pops and don’t even realize they’re fake.
To determine if a Funko Pop is authentic, we can look for certain details, such as the quality of the paint job, the presence of a serial number, and the packaging.
As someone who’s been keeping up with Funko Pops, it’s important to know how to identify fake ones, and I’m here to help you identify the factors you can check to tell if a Funko Pop is legit or not.
How Can You Tell if Funko Pops Are Real?
It’s common for collectors to purchase figurines that end up being fake. Don’t fret. It also happened to me.
The worst part is that I bought them for the same price as their equivalent! I find it helpful to look at the bottom of the Funko Pop when buying online to ensure it has a number.
When I’m buying a pop, I always keep an eye out for these five indicators that can help me determine if it’s a counterfeit:
- I always consider whether the price seems reasonable and in line with market standards. I compare its price to PPG. If the Funko Pop is being sold at lower prices than the average price projected by Pop Price Guide, I advise you to steer clear of it. Why? If the price seems too good to be true, especially for exclusive Funko Pops, it has a high chance of being fake.
- Serial Number
- It is advisable to note that every official Funko Pop has a serial number on its body. I suggest that you ask the seller for it. For me, if the seller refuses to show the serial number of the Funko Pop, I avoid it. It’s better to be safe than to buy a fake Funko Pop with all your hard-earned money!
- This part can be tricky because sometimes, they look too similar to distinguish which is which. But what I do is I compare the current shade with the original one to determine whether it is lighter or darker. Most of the time, fake ones will have a lighter or darker shade than the original!
- Box Details
- I found this helpful, but not all the time. But it’s possible that the numbers are different or the bottom number is missing. When you encounter this factor, I advise you to steer clear of it because it might indicate that the Funko Pop is fake.
- One of the best ways to differentiate a fake from a real one is to examine the features of the Funko Pop! If the figure has different eyes, etc., it is not realistic, or even if there are small features that seem off about the figure, I advise you to avoid them.
Remember, It’s important to be cautious when purchasing Funko Pops, as many counterfeit or fake versions of these collectibles are on the market.
One of the best ways that helped me was researching and buying from reputable sellers is best to ensure I got an authentic product.
Typically, we, as collectors, desire expensive or exclusive Funko Pops. Also, Funko Pops continue to release new designs, particularly for their packaging. They may become more susceptible to imitation.
It is important to know that Funko Pops can be easily replicated, even those considered rare or pricey. It’s useful to remember that your layers of defense include the following:
- Utilizing online resources and researching the Funko Pop.
- Connecting with other collectors and asking for tips on buying Funko Pops.
- Engaging with Facebook or Funko Pop communities on social media.
I advise you to consider doing it.
Things to Check:
I would suggest that if you want to purchase a Funko Pop, it is important to be cautious of prices that seem too good to be true.
It is helpful to check the actual price of the Funko Pop on a reputable website that sells Funko Pops, as individuals who sell counterfeit Funko Pops often use this tactic to deceive buyers.
This could be your first clue if the difference between the new offer and the price is significant.
To locate the serial number of your Funko Pop, you may check the bottom of the figurine itself or look for it on the box or sticker.
It may also be printed on the foot or head of the figurine.
I would advise you to reconsider purchasing the Funko Pop if the serial number is missing. It is worth noting that the serial number of a Funko Pop typically consists of five digits. I suggest that you look at one of three variations:
- Embedded or Engraved
- Printed on the Box
- Sticker on the Bottom of the Box
I would advise you to request the seller to inspect the bottom of the item in question. This is because a missing or blank serial number may reveal that the item is not authentic. It is advisable not to purchase from a seller who fails to provide a picture of the bottom of the box.
Checking the painting on a Funko Pop is a great way to determine if it’s authentic or not.
Some folks who create counterfeit Funko Pops may not pay as much attention to the finer details of the figure.
One way to identify a fake Funko Pop is by checking if it has any paint.
It’s always a good idea to ask the seller for some close-up pictures to get a better look at all the details and ensure the colors match.
You can try using Google to find pictures of the same Funko Pop and compare its colors!
It’s worth noting that the counterfeit Funko Pop boxes can showcase the ingenuity of their creators. It’s important to be cautious when identifying boxes, as many counterfeit ones look similar to authentic ones.
It is possible that you can distinguish between them only by observing them. It seems that there are still some indicators that reveal their true identity.
Faded box colors, borders, stickers, lettering, numbers, fonts, and logos are some of the factors you can use to determine which Funko Pops are counterfeit.
I advise you to conduct a swift search on Google for images of the initial Funko Pop.
It is beneficial to be vigilant about the following things:
- It may be helpful to compare the Pop logos in the corners to determine if they are the same. Compare the photo you are referring to with the one you are currently looking at to determine if they match.
- Is there a sign at the bottom that says “warning”? Is it right?
- Is there an address?
Another thing about fake Funko Pops is that the figure inside is terrible!
There isn’t a better way to say it, from the heads that are soft and move around to the fact that Funko Pops are smaller.
Pulse, their paint colors that are fading. The only bad thing about this trait is that you might not be able to see all of these in a picture.
You might have to touch it to realize it’s there, which is a problem if you need to order it before you can get to it.
Tips for Buying Funko Pops
Buy From Reputable Sellers
It is important to note that certain online stores claim to sell only authentic Funko Pops. If you’re looking for online retailers specializing in pop culture merchandise, I advise you to consider checking out Amazon, Pop in a Box, Forbidden Planet, or Entertainment Earth. I advise you to exercise caution when dealing with auction sites.
Stay Away from Pops Shipped from China
It is important to note that not all products manufactured or sold in China are counterfeit. It is relevant to remember that there have been instances where Funko Pops from that source are counterfeit.
It is advisable to be cautious and alert. I would advise you to steer clear of websites such as AliExpress as they may have counterfeit Funko Pops for sale.
It is possible that if a listing contains stock photos, the seller may be a drop shipper who sources the product from China or may not have the product in stock and will purchase it from China to sell to you.
Purchasing products or services only from companies that have earned your trust is advisable. This will help you avoid any potential inconvenience or issues from dealing with unreliable businesses.
Check out customer feedback or reviews before buying anything, especially online shopping. I would suggest that it may not be wise to purchase it if you have limited or negative thoughts about it.
If there are only a few reviews on an account, it could mean that the person who created the account recently sold fake goods and ran away with the money before getting caught.
If you want to check if an online merchant or seller is legitimate, you can try reaching out to people who have bought from them.
Always look for ways to increase your trust that this pop comes from a reliable source. You should consult with your friends, take pictures, and share them in Funko Pop groups! Imagine someone is accusing you of something and telling you to defend yourself. What would you say to them?
The Funko community also greatly safeguards others by offering a list of con artists. Check if the seller is not on that list before making a purchase!
Avoid Sellers Who Have Large Quantities of Funko Pops
Sometimes when a seller is advertising a bunch of Funko Pops, especially if it’s a rare one, it could be a sign that they might be fake.
But of course, this isn’t always the case. If you come across a bulk order of a product, it could be a sign that the supplier is unlicensed and mass-producing the item.
Be Aware of Unreal Discounts
Discounts are great, but if they are too substantial, it might mean the pop is worth $100. If you find one that will sell for $20, it’s probably a fake Funko Pop!
Before purchasing a very cheap funko pop, Post the offer in a Facebook group or ask a friend for feedback.
Before you go…
We hope this article has given you some helpful tips on how to tell if your Funko Pop is real or not. The best way to ensure you get a real Funko Pop is to buy from reputable sellers!
Check out my next article: “Easy Tips On How To Buy Original Pop By Using Funko Pop Serial Number Checker.”