If you are a coin collector or enthusiast, you may be curious about the rarity of the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin.
This particular coin was minted in San Francisco in 1875 and is considered one of the scarcer coins in the Liberty Seated series. The coin’s historical context, rarity, and market value contribute to its significance among collectors.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at this particular coin and discuss its rarity, historical significance, and how much it is worth today! So what are we waiting for? Let’s dive right in!
1. The 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin is scarce in the Liberty Seated series due to its low mintage and the melting of many coins.
2. The coin’s rarity is also influenced by its mint location in San Francisco, which is historically significant and adds to its value.
3. Understanding coin grading is important when assessing the rarity and market value of the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin.
The 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin was minted during political and economic turmoil in the United States.
The country was still recovering from the Civil War, and the economy struggled. Inflation was rampant, and the government sought ways to stabilize the currency.
The idea for the twenty-cent coin was first proposed by Thomas Jefferson in 1783 as part of the decimal coinage system.
However, it was not until 1875 that the coin was finally minted.
The Liberty Seated design was used for the coin’s obverse, with an eagle grasping arrows and an olive branch on the reverse.
The 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin was minted in San Francisco, California, one of the major centers of gold and silver mining in the United States.
The coin was struck in silver (90%) and copper (10%), weighing 5 grams and a diameter of 22 millimeters.
Despite its historical significance, the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin was not widely circulated and is considered a rare coin today.
According to PCGS estimates, only around 25,000 examples of the coin exist across all grades, with only around 2,600 in uncirculated grades.
The coin’s rarity has made it a highly sought-after collector’s item, with some specimens selling for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
According to PCGS CoinFacts, the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin has a rarity rating of R3, meaning there are between 501 and 2,500 known specimens.
This rarity rating is based on the number of coins certified by PCGS, NGC, and ANACS and the number of coins appearing in auction records.
It is important to note that the rarity of the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin can vary depending on its condition.
Coins in high grades, such as MS67 or MS68, are extremely rare and can command high prices at auction.
The highest auction record for this coin is $73,600, set in 2005 for an MS68 specimen!
Factors Contributing to the Rarity
The 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin is rare, and several factors contribute to its rarity.
Here are some of the main reasons why this coin is considered to be so scarce:
- Mintage Numbers
- The 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin was only minted for one year, and the San Francisco Mint produced a relatively low number.
- According to the PCGS CoinFacts website, only 1,155,000 coins were minted in 1875.
- This low mintage number contributes to the coin’s rarity, as fewer are in circulation.
- Historical Context
- The 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin was minted during economic turmoil in the United States.
- The country was still recovering from the Civil War, and the government struggled to stabilize the economy.
- This historical context makes it more difficult to find coins from this period in good condition, as many were likely lost or damaged over the years.
- Design Changes
- The design of the Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin was changed in 1876, meaning the 1875-S version is unique.
- This makes it a popular target for collectors interested in owning a piece of history.
- The fact that the design was only used for one year contributes to the coin’s rarity.
- Survival Rates
- Another factor that contributes to the rarity of the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin is the survival rate.
- Over time, many coins are lost or damaged, which means that there are fewer of them in circulation.
- This is particularly true for coins minted over 100 years ago, like the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin.
- The survival rate for this coin is relatively low, which makes it even more valuable to collectors.
Overall, the rarity of the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin is due to a combination of factors, including its low mintage numbers, historical context, unique design, and survival rates.
If you’re lucky enough to find one of these coins in good condition, it could be worth a significant amount of money to collectors.
Significance of Mint Location
The mint location of a coin can significantly impact its rarity and value.
The 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin was minted in San Francisco, California, one of the four main mints in the United States during the late 19th century.
The San Francisco Mint was established to meet the needs of the surge in gold miners during the California Gold Rush.
It continued to mint coins until 1955, when it was permanently shuttered.
Throughout its operational years, the San Francisco Mint manufactured diverse coins, encompassing gold, silver, and base metal denominations.
The 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin had a mintage of 1,155,000, which was relatively high compared to other coins of the era.
However, most of these coins were likely melted down due to the coin’s unpopularity and the discontinuation of the denomination in 1876.
As a result, the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin is considered a scarce coin today.
The rarity of the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin is further increased by its mint location.
San Francisco-minted coins are generally more valuable than those minted in other locations due to their historical significance and production quality.
Additionally, San Francisco-minted coins were often used in commerce in the western United States, decreasing their survival rate.
Overall, the mint location of the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin plays a significant role in its rarity and value.
As a collector or investor, it is important to consider the mint location when evaluating the coin’s worth.
Market Value of the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin
The 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin is a rare and valuable coin that collectors highly sought after.
It was minted in San Francisco in 1875 and featured the Liberty Seated design on the obverse and an eagle on the reverse.
|Grades||Price as of September 2023|
|Very Good (VG-8)||$153|
|Very Fine (VF-20)||$194|
|Extremely Fine (EF-40)||$264|
|About Uncirculated (AU-50)||$410|
|Brilliant Uncirculated (MS-63)||$1,211|
According to the USA Coin Book, the estimated value of the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin is $116 in average condition.
It can be worth between $804 to $1,211 or more in uncirculated (MS+) mint condition. Proof coins can be worth $175,401 or more!
It is important to note that the value of the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin can vary based on several factors.
The coin market can also fluctuate, so keeping current trends and prices is important.
Overall, the 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin is a valuable and rare coin that collectors highly sought after.
Its market value can vary based on several factors, but it remains a prized addition to any collection.
Before you go…
If you want to add an 1875-S Liberty Seated Twenty Cents Coin to your collection, it is important to do your research and ensure that you purchase a genuine coin. Look for reputable dealers and consider having the coin graded by a professional service such as PCGS or NGC. With its unique history and rarity, the 1875-S Twenty Cent Coin is sure to be a prized possession for any collector of American coins.
Check out my next article: “How Much is a 1795 Flowing Hair Half Dollar?“