In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the 1960 Large Date penny and explore if it’s a valuable addition to any coin collection.
1. The 1960 Large Date penny is a relatively common coin but can be a worthy addition to one’s collection due to its unique features.
2. The current market value of the 1960 Large Date penny varies depending on its condition, with higher grades fetching higher prices.
3. It is a worthy addition to a collection because of its affordability.
Key Features of the 1960 Large Date Penny
One of the most interesting coins that I have found is the 1960 Large Date Penny.
Here are some key features of this penny that make it a valuable addition to any collection:
- Large Date
- The 9 digit in the date is higher than that of the Small Date.
- On the Large Date, the top of the 9 digit is significantly higher than the 1 digit in the date.
- The majority of the coin (95%) is made of copper. This gives the coin its distinctive reddish-brown color.
- The remaining 5% is composed of a combination of tin and zinc.
- It weighs 3.11 grams and it has a diameter of 19 millimeters.
Current Market Value
|Price as of November 2023
|Brilliant Uncirculated (MS-65)
The average value for an uncirculated version of this coin is $0.23 up to $1.16.
For proof coins with a grade of PR-65, it is valued at $2.33.
It is worth noting that the value of this coin can fluctuate over time, so it is important to keep an eye on the market if you are considering adding it to your collection.
Is it Worth Collecting?
As a collector, you might be wondering if the 1960 Large Date Penny is worth adding to your collection. The answer is it depends.
If you’re a collector who is interested in completing a set of Lincoln Memorial Pennies, a 1960 Large Date Penny is a worthwhile addition.
However, if you’re looking for a rare or highly valuable coin, you may want to look elsewhere.
If you’re interested in collecting pennies, the 1960 Large Date penny is a great place to start.
This penny is relatively easy to find and can be affordable, making it accessible to collectors of all levels.
Before you go…
Overall, the 1960 Large Date penny is a great choice for collectors looking to add a valuable and interesting coin to their collection.
Check out my next article: “1874 Trade Dollar: Do You Need This in Your Collection?“